Saturday, January 12, 2013

Mentoring Amanda

I've been working with this 8 year old girl for the past few Saturdays showing her how to draw comics. I've never really done comics before, and working with this girl has been a lot of fun, as we learn together. Today we did a project where I drew the first few scenes of the comic and she did the next few. We would take turns back and forth.

I got matched with this girl through a non-profit organization called CoachArt, their outpatient mentorships.  You can read about their mission here.

Here's our work:



It's against their policy to ask the family what condition the child has, since they would like for them to be treated like all other kids.  I don't think it's against policy to blog about it, so I'll say I believe she is autistic.  It's challenging interacting with her and also a very special experience.  You can see how I find projects to work with her on my Pinterest board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind? Do keep it friendly.